How to make a folding knife: A folding knife is a tool that is carried by many in their pockets. It can be used to cut the fruit or used it for self-defense. There are also knife enthusiasts who would have a collection of different knives. Few people want to take pride in making their knives. If you are one among them, read on this article to make a folding knife that you can carry while hiking, camping, or going outdoors. It is best always to have a folding knife in the pocket.
Here is the step by step procedure you must follow to make a folding knife.
How to Make a Folding Knife
Are you looking to make a good looking and lightweight folding knife yourself?
Well, let me tell you one thing, we don’t need to be a professional to giving shape to a foldable knife from scratch.
We just need to be sure about the steps to be followed sequentially. And here we go-
When you plan to make a folding knife, you must get the required raw materials to do it from the shop or the online store. You can also use the waste material in the home to make this knife.
Draw the folding knife
Drawing the knife is the first way to make a folding knife in do it yourself method. It will help us to be sure about the size and measurements.
Prepare a prototype of the folding knife on the paper and move the same onto the plastic. It helps you cut the designs for the blade, which is the critical part of the knife. The handle can be made of plastic or wood as per your convenience.
You must keep the tang of the blade and handle and then insert a needle in between these pieces till the pivot pin. After reaching the pin, fold the blade until the handle and later try to tweak the design as required.
Draw the plastic handle on the titanium sheet. The sheet would be 1/8 inches in its size for the top area of the handle and 0.070 inches for the bottom part. You must use the blade to cut in shape.
The next thing you must do in making a folding knife is to prepare a folder.
1. The process would involve drilling holes. The holes must be drilled on the titanium sheet up to 1/16 inches.
2. You must take another titanium plate and place next to the titanium sheet that you have drilled and put those two together.
3. Turn the plate to the other side to drill the other titanium plate neatly.
4. Make a pivot hole with the help of the dowel pin of ½* 1/16 inches so that these two plates do not move.
5. Later, you must drill the end of the handle and then put the pin into that hole. You keep drilling, clamping, and adding pins. Whenever you drill the hole, you need to take the titanium plates away for de-burring. The best way to de-bur is to use the four-flute counter sink hand driller.
# The flipper would comprise of internal stop pin.
- Do not drill until the top of the plate. You must drill the plate at the bottom and up to 0.70 inches. Affix the plate using the 1/16 inches of the dowel pin.
- The next big thing to do is to remove the pivot pin for drilling up to 3/16 inches. After this, de-burr and assemble it again. Again, drill and ream up to 1/8 inches of stop pin.
Pivot, washers, and Pins
We are approaching to the end stage to make a folding knife slowly. Now, it is time for you to countersink the two of the pivot screws.
1. There are different types of spacers and stand-offs being used on the folder. The fillers are available in a wide range of styles, but most often the shoulder ones are used.
2. There is custom made stand-off you can find in the online. When you use the shouldered stand-off, it will not let the blade to move unnecessarily.
3. The holes can be opened for the stand-off to fix the 1/8 inches of reamer into it. The reamers that are of 0.001 inches large can also be used.
4. The folder will also have pivot washers along with the ball bearings.
5. You can sink the washers into the scale up to a bit. You can use 3/8 inches of the four-fluted mill. You can place the 3/16 inches at the end of the mill into the hole that is on the plate.
6. Next, you should lock the table and remove the 3/16 inches at the end and keep it in the 3/8 inches with the help of a dial indicator.
7. The tactical folders can become thick when you use the washers of 0.20 and 0.40 inches on both sides of the blade.
* The washer is placed to ensure that the washers and blade would be of the same thickness alike to that of stand-offs.
** The space that is left between the washer and the blade must be equal. These are placed between the stand-off. Drill and ream up to 3/16 inches of the pivot hole in the blade.
- The mill is done up to half-moon of 1/8 inches of stop pin.
- The makers would insert the pin into the handle in the position of 7’o clock.
# Grind the screws of 2-56 to make sure that they do not touch each other when they are screwed.
Lock and detent
Well, adjusting the sharp body with a proper handle is a crucial part of making a foldable knife and is considered as the toughest part also,
Now it is time for you to prepare a lock for the folding knife to avoid it to open and harm anyone accidentally. Subsequently, put the blade at the bottom of the liner with the help of pivot and stop pins in the right place.
Next, open the blade, draw a line using the knife, and the back of the liner’s tang. The line must be 3-inches long using the marker. Clamp the mill with the help of a slitting saw to cut up to 3 inches in length.
# It is required for you to use the band saw to cut the face properly for the lock.
You can make the lock by twisting the titanium liner to ensure that it moves flexibility with the tang of the blade.
* The tang end should be coated with carbide. The machine that carried out this welding job is known as a carburizer.
1. You must put the rod at the end of the titanium lock and start to weld the carbide coating on the titanium to give a smooth finish.
2. You can also make the lock sturdy through heating until it turns orange.
3. The lock bar must be bent, and you can do this by grinding in 0.020 inches of dent with ¾ inches of the wheel at the lock end.
4. Drill the hole in the lock and blade up to 1/16 inches of the detent ball. Punch a hole amidst of the lock. The folder and clamp must be closed.
5. Drill in the same way as liner up to 0.060-depth in the blade. Based on the way you would like to tune the folder, you can use the drill bit up to 0.054 to 0.055 inches. You must give the heat treatment and polish the blade.
## The ball bearing of 1/16 inches should be put into the lock. The height of the ball bearing must be equal to the washer thickness.
-> The lock must be bent to the folders mid and grind the tang in 7 degrees using disc grinder.
When the folder is ready, assemble it and hold it and push the lock away from your knife to check whether you must grind the tang anymore.
In order to make a folding knife without any prior experience may be a time taking process but we want to remind you even if it takes time to be finished, let it take. Because poor workmanship may cause more damage in future, So stay alert!
Sand and Polish
You must sand and polish the knife. The polishing must be done to the screw edges.
By now, you might have understood the process of making a folding knife, which takes efforts, but is worth it. Without any forging setup, anyone can carry out this process efficiently.